Rogier Fentener van Vlissingen
Energy Efficiency Building Retrofits
Rogier has been at the forefront of a strategy which treats energy retrofits as capital investments, not operational savings. His focus has been on retrofits that improve asset values and achieve 80+% GHG reductions. Approached this way, issues such as life-cycle planning, capital budgeting, and an economically sound and systematic approach to prioritizing competing solutions under constraints are emphasized. With a background in economics, and project development, Rogier creates value by bringing long industry experience to bear on these challenges.
As president of DaBx Demand Side Solutions Rogier focuses on strategic consulting on the economics of renewable energy, as well as providing technological solutions. This includes system purchasing and project management for the integration of renewable energy solutions primarily in existing residential buildings. It is this methodology that enables a paradigm shift from energy consumption to energy production.
This approach optimizes financial risk management pertaining to energy, and achieves the optimal balance of maximal property values and minimal GHG-emissions.
Work History and Practical Experience:
- DaBx Demand Side Solutions, Inc., 2010 – present President and founder: Economic and Engineering consultants in Renewable Energy Retrofits: purchasing, planning, and the economics of retrofits.
- Security Bit by Bit, LLC – 2010 – 2013 Manager and founder: Representing World Market by PinPay, and various related security and payment technologies.
- North American Power, Inc., Independent Representative, 2011 – August 2014 Promoting Green Power.
- Accent Energy/Netpique – Aug ’06 – April ’07 Field sales and development of a Green Power marketing pilot program in NYC, rolling out in spring of 2007. Top sales performance, Nov. 2006.
- Systems Integrity Partners, Inc.(’04-’09) – Launching new IT security products marketing. ASP venture with SuperiorGlacier, integrating Priva Technologies Cleared Key into Iceberg evidence repository; launched early 06. Marketing intellectual property (VoiceID speaker verification), and also, recruiting and staffing experience in IT & Quantitative Finance. Consulting for We-R-You/Avacom Cyprus (Sept 07-March 08), and bus dev for Bit by Bit Computing NYC, (’08)
- RAE Internet, 2003 – VP Enterprise Solutions – developing a new Enterprise presence for the company in security solutions, subsequently continued under Systems Integrity Partners.
- IITCorp, 1987-2003, as Open Field books, publishing company for book translation project J.W. Kaiser. 1993 published Four Open Field Books. Five more titles planned. Editing/proofreading/publishing, proofreading for the 2nd Edition of The Windows Guide to Defenestration by Paul Murphy, in 2001, Antonio Dos Santos, Ph. D, Miracle Moments, 2003, and Angela Simmons, Her Idol, Simon & Shuster 2005. R. F. van Vlissingen, The Gospel as a Spiritual Path, Open Field Books, 2003. Translation from Dutch of The Divinity of Mankind, Part II
- IT, Co-location, ISP Services, 1/2000 – 3/2002. C- level marketing for IBM VARs at OMAI, Inc.; Business Development in VOIP and Colo at Colo Central Corp.; Account Executive Verio/NTT, focusing on moving into Fortune 1000, legal market, specializing on managed security solutions.
- Better Health Lab, Inc., 1999. VP of Sales And Marketing 1999. Developed new marketing plan, and new technology plan, including R&D and manufacturing, for new generations of water electrolysis equipment, for home use to make antioxidant drinking water. Developed first e-commerce for company. Recruited board members for Science and Engineering. Attracted investor interest in $5 million start-up financing, for internet oriented marketing plan.
- Rampart Marketing/Millennium Management – 1/89-2/99. Business development
> Identified under-served markets for phone cards, and developed pre-eminent CT & RI distribution of mass-market phone cards through 20 sub-distributors, with 1996 sales of ca. $3,000,000+, TLC & others.
> Consulting engagements in IT and participatory management issues (consent management system). Published in academic and management journals, introducing Consent Management to the US.
> Marketing cash payment terminals, business telecom and internet services, cell phones, including overseas marketing of telecom equipment (Africa), with UNIDIAL and others.
- Stolt-Nielsen Group, the world’s largest international specialty tanker shipping company headquartered in Greenwich, CT, USA. 8/76-12/88. Primary career path in sales and marketing, coupled with strong systems development and high-level architecting of all strategic applications. Publicly recognized as the lead architect of strategic systems in 1991 by David Noonan, then CIO.
# VP Decision Support Systems, 1/88-12/88.
> With MIT based consulting firm developed systems proposal for $10 million Operations Research systems project with $20-30 million incremental annual profit potential. System reportedly later implemented in 2001, by a new CIO with an AMR background.
> Developed prototype for first of three sub systems of above, computer assisted vessel stowage.
# VP, Business & Corporate Support, 11/86-12/87 Internal consulting function supervising MBA, Engineering, market research, and PR staff.
> Developed 10 year CapEx program, for ships totaling $1 billion.
> Represented company on two joint venture company boards in Venezuela and US.
> Introduced new market research and capital budgeting techniques.
> Profitably managed a fuel oil trading pilot program. Developed thorough analysis and management guidance on Risk Management regarding energy pricing exposure, avoiding expensive mistakes by inappropriate use of futures and options trading programs. Member of NYMEX petroleum products advisory committee to establish more useful futures contracts.
# VP, Trans-Atlantic & Great Lakes, 6/84-10/86 – $60/80 million profit center with full P&L responsibility for US, Canada/Europe trade. Direct reports 10, plus overseeing worldwide marketing from foreign offices, as well as a fleet varying from 15-30 ships at any one time. Development of long-term contract base.
> Continued oversight and control of systems development to support sales & marketing as well as operations.
> Developed new analytical pricing models for long-term contract commitments, improving yields.
# Manager Decision Support Systems Development, 6/83-6/84 Manage requirements analysis and initial phases of key strategic systems design effort to support the company’s commercial and operational functions worldwide. Developed IT edge allowing takeover of our #3 competitors.
> Coordinated efforts leading up to the implementation of mission-critical OLTP system improving commercial and operational information flow, as well as speeding up billing cycle.
> Introduced structured design methodologies, notably in database design. (IBM AS/400 system).
# Sales Manager Trans-Atlantic, 6/81-5/83 Overall day-to-day responsibility for company’s key markets in the Atlantic basin, overseeing all spot trading and several long-term contracts.
> During Oil Crisis developed decision economics for slow steaming/bunker fuel savings program saving $1-2 million per year.
> Chairman of Information Systems Steering Committee.
# Shipbroker Trans-Atlantic West, 3/79-6/81, Moved to Greenwich CT, USA, from Rotterdam, Holland, with interim work stay at Oslo, Norway. Complete responsibility for trading of ships from Western Europe to US, covering some 10 – 20 voyages per month.
> Developed the company’s very first commercial voyage estimating program, adopted by the entire sales organization, the prototype for later corporate systems development.
# Manager Transshipment Dept., Rotterdam, Holland. 8/76-2/79. Managed on-transportation and storage for inland distribution to/from Europe through the port of Rotterdam. Some 200-300 shipments per year.
> Developed the first-ever statistical analysis of combined transportation-risks.
> Managed critically important PR effort to secure regulatory support in the harbor of Rotterdam.
- Holland, through ‘76, Broker in vegetable oils and tallow and related commodities (Lotze & Ozinga, Rotterdam), in dry bulk Shipping, (Rosenfeld Group, operators of 1 million dwt) becoming Assistant Operations Manager in 1975, and worked in quality control at the PCGD the Dutch postal bank (1973/4), the most integrated computerized bank of its day (its IBM 360 implementation was world famous), for 2 years.
- Financial writing on seekingalpha.com, www.talkmarkets.com, and www.stockviews.com
- Blogs: principal energy blog at http://greenapple.blogspot.com developed in 2012-onwards, explorations in the business decisions of renewable energy retrofits, complete with treatment of key high-level engineering issues, as well as a comprehensive treatment of the finance and economics of clean energy retrofits, that is unequalled anywhere. Various other blogs in other areas of interest.
- Translations: Margot Krikhaar, Awakening in Love (2012) and The Great Liberation (2016) from Dutch, Gary Renard, Your Immortal Reality in Dutch (2007), Disappearance of the Universe in Dutch (2009), Love Has Forgotten No One (2013), Nouk Sanchez and Tomas Vieira Take Me To Truth in Dutch (2009), J.W. Kaiser, Four Open Field Books, 1993, from Dutch.
- Published in 2006: Interview with Prof. Edsger W. Dijkstra, published on memorial site by Dept. of Computer Science, University of Texas at Austin. In private correspondence Dijkstra called this the best interview of his life.
- 2005/2006 – blogs http://digitalundivide.blogspot.com Various reflections on effective and dysfunctional IT. Http://acimnabraham.blogspot.com On ACIM in the context of the religion(s) of the fathers.
- 2003 – The Gospel as a Spiritual Path. Introduction to the work of J.W. Kaiser and the rest of the Open Field book program.
- 2008 – Published Sept 2008, Closing the Circle: Pursah’s Thomas Gospel and A Course In Miracles, at O-Books, London & Washington.
- Published 1993, Four Open Field Books, by Dutch Author J. W. Kaiser, served as translator, editor and publisher, of four speeches given by the author at the “Open Field” spiritual world conferences at Zeist, Holland in the 1950-1968 time frame.
- Published 1991, in Human Systems Management, an academic journal edited by Prof. Milan Zeleny at Fordham University: A management system based on Consent, being a report on my study at Endenburg Electrotechniek in Holland, where this management system was developed. Taught seminars and did consulting.
- Published “Handboek bij de astrologische berekeningen,” 1972, a book on using scientific calculators for astrological calculations, and edited and designed a new edition of the “Handboek der Geneeskundige astrologie,” a standard work on medical astrology.
Education & Professional Associations:
Organizer: Various workshops on A Course in Miracles, including Gary Renard, Nouk Sanchez and Thomas Vieira, as well as my own at the NY Theosophical Society and other venues.
Gymnasium Erasmianum, Rotterdam, Alpha, 1971; a one-year course as teaching assistant in classical Hebrew in 1972.
BA Economics (summa cum laude) Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT 1993, Alpha, Sigma, Lambda
MIT/Sloan School 1984/5/6 Course work in Operations Research, Operations Management in the Services Industries, Decision Analysis, and Advanced Decision Analysis.
NYMEX, Member of Committee to establish #6 fuel oil contract, 1988
Sanskrit and Comparative Linguistics at University of Leiden, Holland 1975 (unfinished)
Training at Endenburg Electrotechniek, Rotterdam, Holland in Consent Management 1991
Member of Community Board #9 in the Bronx, NY 2012 – current.