Director of Sustainable Entrepreneurship
Stefan Doering is a true innovator, demonstrating business acumen in environmental business and sustainability since 1987. He is an expert in teaching and coaching green businesses in three major areas: 1) innovating powerful green business models, 2) crafting and implementing marketing and positioning strategies for bringing green to mainstream, and 3) creating a consistently profitable and sustainable business. Stefan will also oversee the “Gamifying” of certain critical Energime courses creating a truly inter-active learning experience for our students.
Stephan has been featured in media including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CBS Evening News, Good Morning America, and Mademoiselle as well as being a regular guest speaker at varied conferences and seminars.
Adjunct Professor 2015 – Present
College of Business
SUNY Stony Brook
Teaching marquee three credit course to undergraduates, fully online. Created curriculum in 13 modules, over 13 weeks of training.
- Students start with an idea, integrate both traditional business components, then embed sustainable business principles.
- Final exam is students pitch to potential investors.
Founder/Managing Director 2012 – Present
Shift Group Brooklyn, New York
Startup edTech company with clients at universities and corporations. Teaching startup entrepreneurs how to launch businesses, sustainably, going from idea to pitch-ready.
- Classroom—work with students live in classroom settings.
- Online—work with students live, completely digital, using entrepreneur manual, facilitator notes, slides and handouts.
- Genesis—a serious game for training sustainable entrepreneurism. Currently in development.
Facilitator 2009 – Present
The Levin Institute New York, New York
SUNY Global Center
Over 1,600 classroom hours as a certified facilitator by the Kauffman Foundation, the world’s largest entrepreneur training company. In one of most popular programs run by New York City Business Solutions, Kauffman’s curriculum trains local entrepreneurs to create and grow their businesses. To-date, we have graduated over 2,000 students in the following courses:
- FastTrac New Venture—a seven full-day program helping new entrepreneurs with their concept, market research, business plan, team building and financial strategies.
- FastTrac Growth Venture—an eight half-day program for existing entrepreneurs exploring how to rebrand, reinvent, and ramp up their businesses using marketing strategies, team building and financial models.
Founder/Head Coach 2001 – Present
BEST Coaches, Inc. New York, New York
Providing motivational coaching services to develop growth strategies to businesses and senior executives in small-to-medium sized companies. Focus on turnaround situations and new vertical market integrations. Powerfully facilitate and coach individuals and groups globally in defining and manifesting business goals.
- Coach and facilitate clients in goal development and attainment.
- Create powerful team and leadership structures.
- Facilitate communication between group members in coaching and mastermind circles.
Instructor 2005 – 2010
Center for Environmental Research and Conservation New York, New York
Educating students in on launching sustainable environmental businesses. Continuing ed courses included:
- Environmental Entrepreneurism— defining what does environmentalism mean to the student and then designing and developing a business idea around this concept.
- Environmental Intrapreneurism— defining what sustainability means to the student, determining the “stage of sustainability” the corporation is in, defining their sustainable product or service and strategies for implementation within their corporate culture.
President/CEO/Co-Founder 1999 – 2001
VentureMate, Inc. New York, New York
Combined exceptional international market knowledge with practiced business experience for startup global platform for improving efficiency and liquidity in the private equity marketplace. This platform supports a network of private investors and entrepreneurs in the value creation process.
- Drove funding– formulated and deployed initial funding strategy; attracted investors; prepared private placement; located capital; managed budget planning and development; cultivated banking relations; monitored accounting.
- Successfully enrolled strategic allies, partnerships; senior management and board members; propelled intellectual property issues; collaborated with law firm; filed five provisional patent applications.
- Designed and developed complex Internet web site prototype.
President/CEO 1991 – 1998
Earth General, Inc. Brooklyn, New York
Fueled aggressive expansion of special product offerings for environmental general stores. Stocked and sold 2,500+ products ranging from organic cotton clothing to all-natural body care products, all-natural bedding and pet supplies. Negotiated leases; oversaw buildout and store designs. Championed promotional and community activities. Oversaw A/P, A/R, and budget.
- Propelled private placements, strategic alliances and bank loans; galvanized sales and drove revenues to $1,000,000; managed HR activities for staff of 15 at two locations.
- Applied new technologies to needs; designed, installed, configured and maintained information systems for stores’ multiple locations and corporate office.
- Raised over $750K in combined equity and debt.
IS Manager 1991
Citicorp, Inc. New York, New York
Optimized performance of department charged with maintaining, updating and securing confidential HR information for 200,000 employees. Served as Chief Programmer and Information Systems Designer for JENA system (Japan, Europe, North America division). Developed and maintained the centralized compensation, bonus structure, benefit, and pay scale application; reports for senior management; provided client service.
Senior Systems Analyst 1990 – 1991
Metallgesellschaft Corporation New York, New York
Coordinated and headed up all the information system technology for the chemical and financial trading as well as the tax departments for the New York City headquarters. Designed and developed key databases and systems to monitor these departments’ activities.
Project Leader, PC Group 1987 – 1990
Information Builders New York, New York
Managed a group of PC analysts and customer support specialists for the line of PC/FOCUS suite of products. Performed a critical case study analysis for the company regarding how to monitor and prevent burnout in a technical support environment.
Senior Coaching and Facilitating Program on Leadership 1996
Landmark Education New York, New York
MBA, Information Systems 1989
Pace University New York, New York
BS, Information Systems 1986
James Madison University Harrisonburg, Virginia
Computer Science Major 1982 – 1983
State Univeristy of New York at Plattsburgh Plattsburgh, New York
ORGANIZATIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
Co-Founder & Director, Soaring Geese (mastermind group)
Founder & Director, Hub of the Hood
A full-service sustainable community organization for struggling neighborhoods
Director, One Earth
An environmental educational non-profit community organization
Founding Member, New York Council for Sustainable Industries
Board Member, Brooklyn Center for Urban Environment